Thursday, November 3, 2011

Their trip to California

I'd like to say this was my own vacation; but, this was Part 2 of Laurie's trip back to Utah this past May to celebrate her & Dad's monumental birthdays. I am so glad she listened to that little voice that told her to come & do this adventure. This added trip to California is all the more memorable to her, and to Mom, since Dad passed away not even 2 months later.  I wanted to blog about it because I felt like I got to take the adventure with them through her pictures, and so glad I got the chance to do that! Seeing my Dad get to go to his favorite place, the place that brings him the most peace & happiness, and getting to spend time with his family there, warms my heart! Though I know he was in a lot of pain, which made it pretty difficult throughout the trip, he was still so happy that he got to go!  
52 years of marriage.....he really did love her! :}
So glad they got this trip together! 
Laurie worked her Time Share Magic to find the nicest stops for them, like The Seasons Resort in Lake Tahoe. They were living well! :} 
 Tahoe is on the top of the list of favorite places to go. You have to love the quaint spots & beautiful scenery! There was still plenty of snow in late May!
Coming down from the Mountains, looking over the California side.
Next destination on the agenda: Fort Bragg......

This area is what used to be the dumping area in the early 20th Century. The pounding waves sweeping the beach, over the decades, wore down the glass into smooth rocks. Hence the name "Glass Beach". There's your History lesson for the day. :} 
Good to see Mom getting a well deserved trip herself! 

Thanks for making it happen Sis! :}

I've always loved the beauties of Northern California, with it's gigantic trees, hills & big rocks along the ocean side....it brings such a sense of peace!
And there's always something about seeing a Palm Tree. Right?! :}
Laurie got to revisit her old home town. This is the cute shop she worked at, where she met "an angel", her friend, Rabecca. She would tell it best, I still have yet to hear the whole story; but, as a believer of things happen, and people come into your life, for a reason, I have no doubt Rabecca was her savior at a difficult time in her life. 
Thank you for taking care of my sister! :}

Speaking of Saviors...here is who actually saved her life after falling from a cliff. Thank You Ft. Bragg Fire Department, we were grateful to get our sister back! :} 

Happy Girl! :}

Love this! :}

Next stop, and definitely a family favorite: San Francisco

Despite the pain, Dad is a Happy Man being here! :}

I loved his sense of humor! ( Think that would work with the kids if I put one on my forehead sometimes?! :})

They are ready to tour the city 

As Laurie explained, this brought back many memories of Dad coming home from the Korean War, and feeling the joy of being home again! 

Going under the infamous Golden Gate Bridge

Alcatraz...if only the walls could talk!

You never know what you're going to see while in San Fran! :}

One "Must Have" is a Clam Chowder Bread Bowl from Fisherman's Wharf! 

He might have thought he was all ready in Heaven at this moment! :}

I love my cute parents! :}

He was happy to sit there & feed the birds all afternoon. Dad did always have his little friends everywhere! :}

I know this spot! :}
Another hot spot for many in the family is Pt. Montara. There is a hostel there that they like to stay at. Now, not the kind of place most people would think to travel; but, it is known to be one of the top hostels in the world & there's just something special about this place. I always enjoy seeing a lighthouse, this is certainly a picturesque kind of place! I hear there's been great memories & they've met some wonderful people every time one of the family goes there. I still have to do it myself one day! Right now sounds like a great time....let's
go! :}

 Mom off to take a stroll down to the beach
 Meeting some new friends from England. I'm sure it was an inspiring conversation! :}

Mom proudly wearing the Leach Family Crest on her jacket that Laurie gave her
I think they made this table just for my Dad! :}
And for the final stop, and reason for the trip.....to see his family in Modesto. Here he is with his sister, Toots, which is always an entertaining time when these two are together! :} 

The family came together to celebrate his 80th Birthday
Who knew this would be his last birthday? :(
Cousin, Allan, who drove all the way from Fresno that night. 
Seamore, the balloon guy that was specially made for him at the restaurant. He loved it, he still had it by his chair at home when we saw him last. 
Getting plenty of laughs in...which doesn't surprise me! :}
Laurie says he showed up in these glasses, pretending they were just his regular ones. Silly Pops! :}
Getting to be with his family is the best present he could ask for!
I sure wish I could have been there to hear their conversation! :}
Oh, I love this one! Glad Pops could have such a wonderful birthday!! 
And back home to Utah they go.....

 When you see Saltair, you know you are just around the corner! :}
And they're home!
Well that was a fun trip, wasn't it?! :} 

No comments: