Monday, May 21, 2012

Saying Goodbye to our buddy, Toby

TOBY
2003-5/19/2012
This weekend we unfortunately had to say goodbye to the family dog, Toby. This was, without a doubt, the hardest thing we've had to do. I knew with different conditions coming about, the right thing was to put him down; but, just couldn't get the heart to move forward. As we watched the growth on his leg grow rapidly over the past month or so, to the point where he couldn't put his foot down anymore, we knew it was time. Toby was Bradon's Christmas present 9 years ago. That's all he put on his list to Santa. Despite already experiencing one sad "Santa bringing a pet" episode prior (which is actually kind of a funny story really. OK, funny is not the word; but, let me just say that getting Toby is what broke the "pet curse" we had going on for a year or so), how could we say no when he wanted nothing else?! He (and Dylan, of course) were very excited that morning!
Wow, how time flies....seems like just yesterday, look how little the kids are!
Cute little Kaley trying to get Toby, and Sherrie's dog, Koby, to stay in the same chair :}
We just had to take him to Grandma's that day to show off our new family member! :}
It's funny, when we officially proclaimed ourselves "The Coleman Five", I remember wondering if I should have said "The Coleman Six" to not feel like we were leaving him out. Regardless, he was always a part of our family!!
The things we put him through!
...like being our own personal reindeer! :}
Still strong & healthy in 2008
I don't think anyone was closer to Toby than my Dad. Every time he came over he immediately went to his lap & enjoyed all the loves he got from Pops! :}

With knowing it had to be done, we thought it would be meaningful to send him up to Dad on his birthday. I'm sure he welcomed him with a big hug & belly rub! :} Happy Birthday Pops...glad to know he's in good hands! I'm not going to lie, between those 2 things....it was NOT an easy day!! Good thing my family seems to be pretty understanding of my current mental state! :}  
We decided to bring him home & make a special place for him by the patio. Kaley & I decorated a stepping stone for him (sorry for the bad pics...never can get good ones on my phone very well!)
She's sure going to miss him! 
 RIP Toby...you will forever be in our hearts! We will miss you!!
Atleast he has a nice peaceful place to rest! :}

1 comment:

At Last said...

Oh Shauna....I am so sorry. It is so so sad when you lose the family pet. We had 6, yes ,6 dogs while I was growing up and I was there for all 5 that had to be put down. We still have one lil one left but she is 13 years old. Everyone was so sad..it never got easier. They are family and I miss these dogs and always will. My heart goes out to you guys. It is so hard to lose a pet. I am glad toby is with your Dad again:) I love you sweetie.