Monday, June 22, 2009

Let the reunions continue...

You know, I think it's fair to say I may be one of the luckiest girls in the world! Not only do I have an amazing husband & kids, and extended family; but, I have had the pleasure of having the most amazing girlfriends over my lifetime, as I'm sure you all ready know! This is something I have never taken for granted. You can't, they are your lifeline! Meet good friends since Jr. High: Sherri (aka: "Hellig", I know...everyone has a nickname :} Personally, I'm "Peachy" to these girls), Sonya (aka: "Beast"), and Kathryn (I'm sure I had a nickname for her, why don't I remember anymore?). Sherri, Sonya & I were a threesome who, let's be honest, have been through A LOT, together! Seriously, they pretty know any of my deep dark secrets (and don't you dare try to bribe them w/ info, because they will not tell! :}). Their poor parents put up with us on a regular basis! (and managed to survive too...AND they still like us! :}). I'll just sit here & smile, have a few giggles, as I think of how much fun we've had together! :} Probably most memories that come to mind would be many weekends of hanging out at Lark Sand Dunes, camping trips & Lake Powell excursions. I believe they are the ones who helped me to truly appreciate the nature & our surroundings. Really, sounds silly; but, it's true! Kathryn came into play through mutual friends & drove us punks around all the time (not sure how she put up with us either! :}). She had a little truck that managed to get through many 4-wheeling experiences! All of us will also always share a hilarious memory of getting stuck out by Wendover together. Let me just say....make sure one has enough gas, and don't EVER try to cross the salt flats! :}
Though I fortunately got to see Sonya lately (but, not nearly as much as I should!); Sherri lives in Arizona, so I don't get to see her that often. I'm so glad we have email at least...today's technology makes it easier to keep those connections alive. It's funny though...with these girls, it doesn't matter how much time or how many years go by, whenever we do see each other we just pick up where we left off! There's something to say about that kind of friendship!
Speaking of their parents..I always felt so loved & welcome by Pat & Clancy Hellige. They always treated us like their own. Their other daughter, Suzy, let me move in to her home & and was my very first roommate after moving away from home. As well as their son, Chuck. We lived in Suzy's house (and later, Doug as well, becoming a roommate...long story :}) & just had a blast there. I was growing up (OK, that may still be up for debate! :}); but, still lived close enough to home & in the neighborhood, so it worked out perfect...I loved it! So it was like I was just an extension of their family & I appreciate them always making me feel that way!
Pat got to make the visit as well (she also lives in Arizona now). Here is Sherrie's daughter, Charlesie, and Pat. I also hadn't seen Heidi forever! They just moved back from Texas (Heidi & Chuck were Jr. High/High School Sweethearts...it really can happen to be in love with someone from the beginning! :}) Really, I love this family & it was SO good to see them, even if it was just a few hours...I'll take what I can get! Of course Kaley instantly bonded with Brianna (Sonya's daughter). It's amazing, and crazy, to see your friend's kids grow too. How can that happen when we're still 29?! :} Thank God for Girlfriends who help get you through the roller coaster of life!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Well you look and act 29, but there's been a mention of two of you and many friends turning 40 this year so hard to believe! How fun to get together, you have some great friends!