Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Love of Music

I'm not sure the reason as to why I've been thinking a lot about all the great concerts I've got the chance to go to over my lifetime, recently (and hopefully many more to come!); but, it seemed like a fun thing to blog about. It could be since I've got to attend two recently that were so much fun, and definitely took me back to my High School Days: Bon Jovi & English Beat (I AM an 80's Girl after all! :}) I had a friend tell me once he'd never been to a concert before (outside of school band concerts, or what not). What?! Why, I say?! :} First of all, who doesn't love music?! I wrote this silly poem in 7th Grade I thought I'd share...

 A SONG
A song is what's here, to express how we feel,
To say what we like, and to show what is real. 
It can brighten your day, put a smile on your face, 
And set the right mood without any haste.
To sing a tune won't take very long; 
but, what would life be like without any songs? 

See, I knew what I was talking about at the ripe age of 13! :} Music is what gets me through the day! Whether I need to be pumped up, mellowed out..whatever, I rely on just the right song! You'd think as much as I love my music, I would know how to sing, or would have kept playing the piano, or learned how to play the guitar..which was my dream as a young teen. But, my stubborn self never had the patience long enough...darn me anyway! :} So who doesn't find it exciting to see the performers, who make your day, in person?! I thought it would be fun to try to list many of them and a memory created with each one (in no particular order since I really can't choose my favorite one):
  • Bon Jovi, 3/11: Rockin' out and singing loud with my girls the whole night!
  • English Beat, 3/11: Getting up front & getting to talk to the saxophone player, and shaking their hands after. The singer said he loved "my sweaty self" from dancing so hard!
  • Elton John, sometime around 85-86: Amazing performance...he's a true Idol!
  • Fleetwood Mac, again sometime in the late 80's?: Legends! Getting the chance to go with my brother, Steve, and sisters, Colleen & Sherrie. And watching Steve sneak down all the way to the front row, as he was insistent on getting as close to Stevie Nicks as possible! :}
  • Howard Jones, 6/85: My 1st concert ever & getting to experience good old "Park West" for the 1st time (aka: The Mountains, and The Canyons), which is a place FULL of fabulous memories!
  • The Eagles, 5/09: The excitement of finally getting to see them & check it off my bucket list (after I thought they would never get back together!). Again, Legends!
  • UB40, 85-86?: Again, Park West was memorable in itself. But, I remember seeing so many friends/classmates there, it was a big love fest of happy dancers! :}
  • AC/DC, 8/88: Mine & Doug's 1st outing together (OK, I'd call it a 1st date; but, really he took my roommate, Suzy's, other ticket...so, not really a "date"; but, 1st time out with him, of which I was thrilled about! :})
  • KISS, early 90's: Running into Paul Stanley in the hall at the Hotel, while Doug talked to him before the girls saw him & came screaming! Of course, they also know how to entertain you!
  • Modern English, late 90's: Getting to hang out with the band after the show, and doing a beer run with them at the local 7-11 (that was classic moment! :})
  • Grateful Dead, '87?: Hanging out with many of the "Dead Heads" after, who were camping out, sitting by the Campfire as one played the guitar as we all sang "Lola" together
  • Crosby, Stills & Nash, few times in late 80's-early 90's: Again, Legends!
  • Prince, 9/04: "The Purple Pre-Post Party" & all the fun people we got to go with! We were a large group of singin' & dancin' fools!! (and I have pictures to prove it! :})
  • Steve Miller Band, 7/05:  getting saved by the very friendly police officers :}
  • Def Leppard/Journey, 8/06: Rockin' out with my brother, Glenn; Moni; and many of the Jazzerbabes
  • Def Leppard/Tesla, '86?: when Hysteria came out...there's a classic Album! :}
  • Air Supply, 6/07: The Girls Weekend in Wendover, the only ones standing & singing our hearts out to every song (OK, so maybe we annoyed some; but, mellow or not...still a concert! :}). Getting to meet the band after was pretty cool too! :}
  • Oingo Boingo, few times in the late 80's: sharing the experience with my brother, Steve, and him coming to the rescue after I accidently got punched in the face from someone else dodging the punch! :}
  • Violent Femmes, '86?: Having the power go out & being in an arena full of people anxiously awaiting for the show to continue
  • INXS, '87?: Getting the chance to see Michael Hutchence before he passed away
  • Australian Pink Floyd, '09?: Though not the original, still amazing! They reenacted much of "The Wall" as they performed, it was quite a show!
  • Scorpions, '89: Hearing them play "Winds of Change" just after the Berlin Wall came down, of which they said they had the pleasure of playing for the occasion. It was very moving!
  • John Mayer, 9/10: Awesome performance...I was immediately in love! :} Great memories with Suz & Tiff!
  • Sheryl Crow, 8/08: getting to enjoy the show with my siblings & friends, and managing to sneak up to the front row with my sister, Sherrie.
  • Erasure, '85?: First time seeing a man in a Tu-Tu (ha ha)
  • Thomas Twins, '85?: Another great 80's moment! :}
  • Metallica, early 90's?: Getting to see Doug's favorite at the time, of which he was a member of the fan club. It was a thrill!
  • DIO/Deep Purple/Scorpions, '02: Getting free tickets & getting to take the boys to their first concert. Dylan rockin' out with the "rocking hand gestures" at the ripe age of 4, and Bradon actually falling asleep during it. Needless to say, we didn't see Scorpions this time since they were wiped out by that point!
  • Gwen Stefani/Black Eyed Peas, '01?: Getting to take Bradon to his 1st official concert that he wanted to go to (we can't really count the last one :})
  • Fall Out Boy, 4/09: Getting to take Dylan to his 1st official concert, that he asked for for his birthday. I was the "Cool" Mom that night! :}
  • Depeche Mode, '10: Having some fun with this with my girlfriends as we dressed up in our finest 80's gear to take us back to the day! :}
  • Tears for Fears, 7/85: Fun times at the Park City Hotel & people thinking Mellisa's Uncle was Roland Orazbal, so he decided to sign a few autographs :} (he did look a lot like him!)
  • Bonnie Raitt/Midnight Oil, 9/01: this is one we came about on accident as Melissa & I were spending a day together, while I was visiting her in Boston. It just so happened they were playing at the park. Both of us were pregnant at the time & didn't let those bellies get in our way of dancing! :}
  • Berlin, '87?: Another classic!
  • Neil Diamond, 12/08: What a fun night...we sang our hearts out!!
  • Sarah McLachlan, '03-04?: A beautiful performance...I found her so inspiring as she talked about being a new mother, as we all seemed to relate. Again, us girls were up and singing the whole time, despite the "mellowness" of the show (which I believe upset some people who wanted to stay seated...sorry; but, I don't sit at concerts too much! :})
  • RUSH, '86?:  One heck of a light show! It was right around when they first started using lasers. And RUSH certainly knows how to do a light show. This concert would also be my "I'm really sorry, again, Mom & Dad" for crashing at my brother's house & not calling like I should have. Just because it was a school night & they had all my friends worried too. Darn irresponsible kids!! :} (still an killer concert though, ha ha! :}). And kids...if any of you are reading this...don't you DARE do that to your parents!!! :}
  • James Taylor, late 90's?: He's just awesome, I have always loved his sound...always gives me warm fuzzies! :}
  • Creed, early 2000's?: love me some Creed! Too bad they kind of disappeared. 
  • Nickleback, 8/09:  Rockin' with Edith Ann! :}
  • Ziggy Marley and also Julian Lennon, '88?: Just knowing they were both sons of such historic legends in music history made them both cool in itself! :}
  • Styx/Foreigner/, '07?: Amazing! (despite getting there late due to mad traffic & actually missing Foreigner)
  • Loverboy, 4/09: Another 80's Flashback moment shared with Tina & Dennis, as we sat in the comfy leather seats and gave them high fives from the front row. 
  • Chicago, '89?: Roommates night out, back to Park West. Very entertaining!
  • Yanni, 3/98: OK, I had to put this, even though I didn't actually make it due to being on bed rest from early labor. I just laugh because Doug got me tickets as a romantic gesture for Valentines, and since I couldn't go, he ended up going with my little sister, Jenny. :}
  • Livestock Concerts, 92-95?: super fun summer days at the music festivals. Seeing classics such as Bad Company, Santana, Peter Frampton, Steppenwolf, and many more. 
  • Coming up soon-U2, 5/11: What I know, without a doubt, will be another classic & memorable night with my girls!! :}
I'm sure there's more that I seem to be drawing a blank on at the moment; but, I'm just hanging on & enjoying the memories. Let the music fill your soul with goodness...and whatever you do, keep on dancin'! Rock on! :}

No comments: