Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bonko Camping Weekend

Aaahhh...the much anticipated day/weekend of the year once again arrived. This would be our Annual Bonko Camping Weekend. I believe this was our 13th year now (I just remember Bradon being a little tot when we started, sooo..yea, 13 :}). The funny thing is, this year, that we ended up being exactly where we started. It first began when Elissa Green was still in Bonko. Oh, I miss Ela...her & Millie used to crack me up! Those two were two peas in a pod! :} Ela's family had some property up by Soldier Creek Dam, just above Aspen Grove Campground. We had our 1st 4-5 years or so there before she moved away . The deal is, which I'm sure I mentioned last year, is that the women get Friday night to themselves for Bonko night (which, let's be honest...we don't always get through when camping; but, we actually did 2 rounds this year! :}). Then whatever spouse's/kids want to come join us for the rest of the weekend, they join us on Saturday. It's not only awesome for all the mothers to get their own night away without any cares; but, it's so fun to get our kids, and spouses, together too! We've tried out different areas ...we've certainly got plenty to choose from in our part of the country (as Al Roker would say :}). Honestly, I didn't think we would get to fit it in this year with the Jackson trip & all; but, we are determined...so, of course we did! :} And nice to do it on Labor Day weekend so we get an extra night! (which the kids were happy for since they always feel jipped they usually only get 1 night). So, anyway, since Julie Neilson joined us...she so kindly offered up their family cabin, which so happens to be about a mile from Ela's property. It brought back some fun memories thinking about those days & the one's who have since moved on elsewhere like Ela, Tel, Millie, Niki, for some. It was awfully kind of her (and Scott) to allow us in! How fun that would be to have a cabin. That is definitely something on my "When I'm rich, or at least comfortably retired, list". Despite rough times, I'm not giving up hope on that dream! :} (of course, it also needs to come with the toys like snow mobiles & ATV's, and the big truck to get up the mountain! :}). It was a gorgeous view & so nice to take in the fresh air & just relax!
(by the way, forgive me for the not so great pics...I managed to come up with a dead battery to my camera, can you believe I would do that?!). So, I'll take what I can get from my phone! :}

The "Same Birthday Sistas"! :}
What a nice & calming view!
And even a cool moon that night!
Chillaxin' in the cabin after we finished playing Bonko
Good morning! :}
Then we headed down to the campsite to start greeting the families. Since my family couldn't come in until later due to football games (and sorry I missed them!), the Moulton kids kept me entertained! Bailey & Madison just crack me up!
We decided to take a little hike together & explore the area
Looking up at the old campsite :}
Maddy is such a lil' ham, you gotta luv her! :}
Julie & Scott came down to save us from the rain that was coming in. They so kindly let us all pile in the cabin for the evening until it went over us (it did get pretty cold & windy quickly!). And hey, we weren't going to complain about having a roof over us & some warmth too! :}
"Hey Ya'll!"
Despite the family reunion on the other side of the lake, Megan came back for a visit with her cute little family.
It was nice to finally meet Charlie!
Nothing like chillin' in the fresh air....aaahhhhh!
Deanna's turn for a "Julie Sandwich" :}
It was great to see Jeff too...it's been a while!
That's us shucking the corn
Tyler & Jacob being their cute selves
Another nice view to soak in
Our silly Julie
..and her hubby, Scott
Dennis & family made it!
I think Jennica & Aleah were instant best friends since they met. They were inseparable!
How fast they grow! I remember when Jacob was born & all the health scares that he had in his first years, hard to believe that was all ready 10 years ago!
'Princess Aleah" & her Daddy
Julie & Jennica
I just couldn't get enough of this, can you tell?! :}
Char's Alexis
Yee Haw! :}
Getting in a round of poker
The girls getting their dance groove on (Maddy is good at that! :})
I love getting our hubbies together too!
My man!
Jacob & Maddy
Jules & Jeff
Time for some ziploc omelets (a yummy & perfect breakfast for camping! :})
The boys, of course, had to get some football in!
Riding the scooter down the hill was fun for the kids...glad no one got hurt! :}
Chris
Forgive me for laughing at this terrible moment for Tony; but, it's hard not to. He was so kind to make fresh salsa for us; but, forgot he'd just cut up a bunch of jalepeno's when he put his fingers in his mouth. He was ON FIRE! His lips looked like Angela Jolie for a while.
Best buds, Connor & Bradon
...and Kaley & Bailey
The three little girls
Our girls being their cute selves
..and their silly selves! :}
Scott taught us how to fish for Craw Dads, which the kids had a blast doing! They even cooked them up for our appetizer this night. Not so bad really (as long as I didn't have to touch them! :})
Doug & I
The adults enjoying the downtime while the kids were fishing
Jeff showing us what they looked like (uck! :})
Tyler got one!
Look...even the girls did too!
Dyl caught a few himself!
Jennica
Jacob
Fun afternoon at the lake! :}
I believe this was some moment when she was begging for a treat again or something! :}
Ummm, mud pie!! :}
Soaking up the last little bit of sun before we had to head out
Gangsta Kaley made her own grills with the foil. Silly girl!
Do we have to go back to reality?!

We sure are lucky to have such incredibly awesome friends to share this with each year! :}

1 comment:

Melissa Joy said...

Looks wonderful and so much fun! I love this tradition and was so honored to join that one year. Hopefully I will be able to make it again... You and your friends are all so great!!!