Monday, November 17, 2008

A Roadtrip Down South

This past weekend we got to take a roadtrip down to Southern Utah...which, as you may know, is a place we really enjoy! We'd live down there if it were easy enough to get up & go & start over; but, we all know it's never that easy! Some day maybe! We appreciate Utah Barricade for taking Doug down there periodically, and letting us tag along. Usually that's for work; but, this time it was for a golf tournament....which is his favorite thing to do! We actually had a free weekend, which is very rare for us..so we were happy to join along! It was perfect weather & very nice to just take the weekend slowly with no busy agenda!! Since the cold is really kickin' in up here, I was glad to escape for a few days! It was great family time, something we just can't get enough of!!

We're off & excited to hit the road!
While Doug was golfing, the kids & I took a drive up to Zions, stopping in Springdale on the way in...it's a cute little small town, a very peaceful place!
We stopped in at the store my cousin, Christine, works at...she's a cutie! We also got to meet up with Uncle Dave & Aunt Mimi, and cousin, Emily, later that night for ice cream. I meant to get a picture of them too, darn it! :} (what, I missed a Kodak moment?! :}). We do love them all...they really are a great family!! it was awesome to spend some time with them!
First stop in Zions, Checkerboard Mesa
Next stop, Weeping Rock
Got to love it when the kids are all getting along! :}
Walking through The Grotto area...what gorgeous country!
The boys enjoyed all the exploring they got to do!
She sure is growing up!
Check out what was right in front of us. Actually there were 8 in that field; but, this guy didn't seemed bothered at all!
So much for the getting along part! No, kidding...they were just having fun (he wasn't really about to punch him, though they do like to gang up on Dylan!)
Isn't she just sweet?! :}
...or not! :} We'll call this the "My mean brothers won't let me play pool with them!" moment
We always like to go up to Pioneer Park, up by Dixie Rock (not sure if that's the official name; but, it's where it has Dixie painted on the side & overlooks the city...great place for the kids to explore!).
Dylan has this thing for doing handstands everywhere lately, just had to capture it on top of the rock! :}
"Look mommy, there's St. George down there!"
And there's that little town we love
My boys
I love the red rock everywhere!
Then it was time to play in the pool!
There goes Dylan & his handstand again!
Having fun together again! :}Doug is so good with the kids, I love to see him playing with them!Yep, I think they're having fun!On the way home we decided to take a little side trek to see Cedar Breaks National Monument. I always thought it was farther in & can't believe I've never seen it after living here almost all my life! Doug, who is normally no where near any edges with his fear of heights, appeared to be a little more relaxed this time! This is by Point Supreme.Yes, we live in a beautiful state!I loved seeing the snow on the red rocks...something you just don't see too often! Now from Sunset View...I can only imagine how cool this would be to see during a sunset!OK Doug, now we're feelin' a bit daring today apparently?! Made me nervous! Love my man!Kaley was keeping her eyes closed, she wasn't diggin' the canyon so far down!And final stop at North ViewWhat, now he's bringing Bradon in on his dangerous antics?! (it's all good really, it wasn't like an immediate drop behind him; but, still...) Amazing to think how the canyons were created! You seem so small when you look over into this incredible landscape!

I've realized more & more lately how much we can take for granted all that's around us. It doesn't matter where you live, it just seems to be that way. So, my goal is to NOT do that & for our family to see more sites that we haven't seen yet. Especially when they are in a short distance like some of these places! There's a whole world to explore!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I loved looking at the photos! What a perfect weekend getaway, I'm jealous! Can you believe I've never been through Zions. I attempted it once, but Taylor was throwing up before we very far, so we had to turn around. Ever since he was a baby he has gotten car sick very easily, especially going through mountains. Anyway, maybe another time. It looks gorgeous from your pictures! I did get the opportunity to see Cedar Breaks when I was visiting Glenn one year at school. It was so beautiful! How fun that you got to see Christine and the rest of the family. She's so cute. And your kids are as cute as ever..growing up so fast. I'm glad you were able to have such a fun family weekend away.

Carla said...

When you figure out how to move down there let us know. I would love it too. (HE!) Great photos and what a great weekend. There is nothing better than getting away as a family and enjoying each other. Your kids are growing up TOO fast.

Can we come next time?
Thanks for sharing.
Carla

Jen said...

What a fun trip. Although those pictures of Doug, and then the boys freaked me out, and made my stomach turn. The pictures are beautiful. I've been to Zion's a couple of times, but would love to go back, and hike some of it. How fun and nice of you to take time to see Christine and Uncle Dave and Aunt Mimi. It's been too long since I last saw them. Glad you could have a free weekend, and some fun family time! Love ya!!!

At Last said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I haven't been to zions for years. It is so pretty. I love the pictures. Again I think your family is adorable. I'm glad you had a nice getaway:)

Julz said...

Looks like you had a really great time! I need to get out and explore more out here, too. I can't wait until the kidlets are just a tad older so we can really enjoy it. It woulda been great to see you- but we'll try again next time!!