Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Continuing the race for the cure...

Once again we participated in the Annual Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure. It's amazing to see it grow every year! I remember the 1st year we started doing it, there was just over 2000 people I believe. This year it hit over 18,000! I can only imagine, as a survivor, how good it feels to know all these people are helping you fight the battle! It's sad at the same time to know how many people this effects. Even though it's been a cause I've tried to stand for for many years, this year it unfortunately gave a new perspective. Our good friend from school, Natalie Avery, has had to face the battle herself this year. She was fortunate to find it early & get right on the treatment. She's just finished chemo & radiation & is doing well! I realize it's a daily battle; but, she has an amazing outlook on life & what she's had to face. It made me proud to know I could help in some way. I was SO proud of our team, which has also continue to grow & raise more money every year. Our team successfully raised over $2400...which is more than double what we did last year!! I couldn't be more thankful to our team who really stepped up & got the word out! Every bit adds up!
A portion of "Team Jazzerbabes & Friends", who are all awesome people in doing thier part!
Our honoree this year, Natalie, & I. She's a strong woman all right...so glad we can be there for her!
So glad Anji joined us this year! She was kind enough to run with the boys (and stay with Dylan while Bradon took off at lightening speed! :})
Tracy & Kaley, who got a hold of Deb's silly glasses
Long time students, Shelly & Ashley Baxter. Such a cute Mom & Daughter team those two are!
Of course we were thrilled that Nat was back in town this week & got to join us!
Her adorable little Jonah, growing up fast! Friends & Family coming together for the cause!
Let the race begin! Fun to have our cute student, Jeannette, join us too!
It always amazes me to walk around the corner & see these thousands & thousands of people far down the road!
My cute silly girl, who was given these pom-poms along the way
The back of our shirts (reminding you Early Detection is Key & that we are the cure). If you ever watch 'The Office", which is a show I just love, you will get it.
It's always fun to see all kind of different shirts & themes going on each year. Like these ones, "Kickin' Cancer's Butts" for one.
I was even more thrilled to finally get some of our Bonko Girls to join us this year! In the picture is myself, Tracy, Deanna, Suzanne with her daughter, Megan, & Jules (and Tina was there too...just not for this picture time :})
Kaley was glad to have Aleaha there too!
Our Deb will always find the music & dance! (atleast if she's lost, we know where to look! :})
I was also very thrilled to have Melissa & family join us! She alone did an incredible job at raising funds with more than 1/3 of our total donations. Way to go Mel!
I love to be able to share this with my family each year. I think it's good to get them involved in activities around the city, especially when it's for a good cause! They're always good sports! :}
We ran into some more team mates after from the Herriman Jazzercise. Sean Wilson with her kids, and other students. Glad to have them join us too!

Together, we ARE the cure!!

2 comments:

Bunnie said...

You're awesome! I plan to join you next year!

Colleen said...

Wow, that's amazing. I'm so proud of you and the family. That's awesome that Anjila and the rest of your family & friends were able to join up this year. What a great accomplishment to raise that much money.