Friday, June 27, 2008

Meet My Grandma...

Continuing on with people you should know (and please note there is no "ranking" here by what order they come in..I don't' play favorites! :})...meet Grandma (Aileen) Tate. She is the cutest lil' Grandma, I feel totally blessed to be part of her lineage! And what a lineage it is....with 6 kids, 40+ Grand kids, 17 Great Grand kids & 1 Great Great Grandson; there is a legend passed down for many years to come! Many people know her for her true spirituality & faith, with having been on a number of missions with my late Grandpa (Ralph) Tate to Toronto, Canada; West Africa; Ireland; The Carribean; New Zealand; and Hawaii. Which is incredible to think how many lives they've touched around this world! (and when you think about how many of her lineage has also done so as well, they've pretty much covered the world!).

She is a smart lady & loves to play games, especially when it comes to cards. Age has not taken away her ability to beat you at a game of "Hit the Table" or "Rook", to name a few of her favorites! Speaking of games, I've enjoyed her story of her & Grandpa being on a game show (this is when it was still on radio) & how she won her wedding ring on it!

When I was able to quit my full time job & spend more time with the kids (oh, missing those days again!)...I thoroughly enjoyed my Tuesday afternoons with Grandma! Whether it was a quick game of cards, an afternoon at the park (which I'll never forget her getting on the swing this one afternoon too...always a kid at heart!), or just out on their patio talking & hearing more about her life. It meant a lot to me to get those days & I'm sorry that I can't do it more often. I need to!! I'm trying to learn how to not be so busy & take advantage of those simple things...it's just taking me a while! :}

What I enjoy most, besides her true love for family, is her sense of humor. She's certainly got a great wit about her! Let me give you a few examples:

  • One Annual Family Halloween Party at our house, here comes someone walking in dressed in the "Scream" costume. Had no idea who it was, they didn't speak for a good 10-15 min, just scared a few kids & sat down (I'm sure my nephew may still have nightmares from that!). Finally they took off the mask....lo & behold, it's Grandma! She really didn't know who "Scream" was (probably wouldn't approve of the movie I'm sure! :}); but, knew she would have some fun with it! We got a great laugh out of that!
  • Another year's Halloween Party at my sister, Cathy's, house involved a game, can't remember the name.."Bear in the Night" I think. It involved a bit of hide & seek in the dark. Doug & I are both hiding under the kitchen table, then we feel a little squeeze...come to find out Grandma was right next to us, messing with us. OK, so maybe you had to be there; but, seriously, it was hilarious!
  • This past Christmas, when they opened they package of family gifts from my sister, Laurie, in AL, there happened to be a red lacy nightie. (Don't ask...that's a whole nother story!) So, Grandma thought it would be fun to play a gag & pretend it was my gift from her. So when I got there for our Annual Christmas Day Buffet at her house (which I always look forward to!) in front of many family members, I was VERY surprised to find this & wasn't quite sure what to say when I opened it! Grandma & lingerie are not two things I put together!
  • There was another Christmas when she was so excited about the gift she got my brother, Glenn, she just had to show me ahead of time. It was this "Cat in a Bag" thing. I don't remember exactly what it did, other than it was this gag gift that just made her laugh. She knew Glenn, who also has that same wit, would enjoy it too.
  • Even the time, which was a serious moment, visiting Grandpa's gravesite on Memorial Day...and to look over & here's Grandma lying down on what will be here spot, in her nice dress mind you, saying "How do I look...does it fit?"

Those are just a few examples of MANY that will always come to mind when I think of Grandma. I'm so glad that I've gotten to know her better over the last 15 years or so (since I was the rebel teenager/young adult who didn't truly appreciate it when I should have! Please be a lesson to you kids...appreciate EVERY chance you get with your family. Despite the differences you may have, they're all you've got & will always be your family!! Someday they'll be gone & you'll wish you did!)

We love you so much Grandma...thanks for being such an important part of our life & for teaching us the value of life!!






4 comments:

Jen said...

All your posts about family have me both laughing and crying at the same time. We are so lucky to have such a great family. I love seeing all your pictures, and hearing stories, some of which I've never heard. Grandma is so loved, and such an amazing person. I hope to be like her some day. And Jenn looks beautiful. I can't believe she is 21. I remember her birth as though it were yesterday. I miss you and the family so much. Thank you sooooo much for sharing these wonderful memories! Love ya!!!

Colleen said...

I love these stories about Grandma!! She's so funny, and so beautiful and elegant all in one! We must both think alike, I'm also working on a post about her. So if you don't mind, I will probably reference this post in it. It's clear to see where our love for games was inherited from..what a great thing to pass on!

Lissa said...

Sweet Grandma! She sounds so wonderful and with such a great sense of humor. Thanks for sharing her with us!

Julz said...

What a blast your grandma sounds like! I know I've heard quite a bit about her from your aunt Julie, too. There is nothing better than a grandma with a sense of humor! Oh- and thanks for all the sweet words you sent my way on my blog! You're awesome!!!