Saturday, October 4, 2008

I'm just saying....

So, I've wanted to have a discussion about something that many people just hate to talk about....death, and what we want from our own funerals. Some think I'm morbid for thinking of this; but, c'mon...we're all going to be there someday. Hopefully not any time soon...I still have WAY to much on the life list!! Speaking of...I better get on some of those things! What's on your life list? Mine includes skydiving (Tandom is ok, and preferred, just want to jump is all), seeing Europe, learning to ride a motorcylce, learning Spanish...and much more. We should all have a life list...if not, I encourage you to make one now!

So why do I bring this subject up anyway? Well, as I've mentioned, it has unfortunately been quite the year of losses. It's sad to see so many people leave this world! Some we new were coming, some completely unexpected & too many that were too young & still had a lot to still live for! Which I'm sure they didn't take a lot of thought into this probably, since they didn't expect it to happen for a long time. I don't want to leave it up to someone else to wonder what I'd like, or to have a service that didn't truly express who I was & what I believed in. As sad as funerals are, they can as well be so inspirational & hopefully you can always learn something from them. What I've learned, or what has just been reinforced, is NOT to take life for granted!; to just be kind to others & be a good person-live by the Golden Rule (see, I did still learn something from Primary! :}); to appreciate every relationship you are fortunate to have & to not let time go by without letting your loved ones know you love them; to just do it instead of talking about it!; to know, despite life's trials, that you will get through them, and become a stronger person because of them!; and much more!

What I want at my funeral is to have lots of pictures. At our friend, Kelly Gunderson's, funeral (oh, that was sad...I miss him, he was a great friend growing up, so many good memories!)..they had a whole room full of pictures & I loved to see what an adventurous life he had & enjoyed getting a laugh at ones when I remember him as a kid. I want people to know that I did love life & tried hard to make the most of it! I want people to laugh & remember what fun we had! I can only hope that each & everyone of you there have something you can smile or laugh at through our times together. I believe that is my purpose in life after all! :} I know there's a lot of tears at funerals; but, laughs should be there too (especially if you get tears from laughing! Now that is something I truly love about my dad too...the laughing tears! :}). Sadly, this week involved another funeral of our friend, Greg's, father. I really enjoyed hearing his stories & things he did that made them laugh & how much he lived for his kids. He was obviously a good man & a great example. I remember my Grandma Leach's viewing & how much we were laughing at her stories. She was such a silly & fun lady...a great inspiration to us all! Was this inappropriate? Maybe to some; but, to me that was a good sign of how much she touched our lives!

Another thing I want is good music. There's so many fabulous songs out there that express who I am & what keeps me going; but, hopefully you can get some of my favs (just look on my IPOD playlists....they're all there :}). I believe music is a great way to express feelings & to help cure whatever the mood. One of my favorite songs, "Forever Young" by Alphaville, is one out of many. Now why this song? It's about living...but, it's been my theme song & truly living "Forever Young" to the day I die. I would also agree with Tracy & include Green Day's "Good Riddance". Others include "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Seasons In The Sun", "Time In A Bottle", "Angel" by Sara McLachlan, about any Bread song. Of course there's plenty more; but,that's just a few of them.

Friends...throw a party in my honor. Must haves at this party...good music (again)..to get everyone dancing, good food...jello's always good (with or without :}), funeral pototoes (umm..yumm!), someone else is going to have to make stuffed mushrooms this time for Connie, Laci, Tina, Daniella, Jeff & Carla...and the rest of them who insist every time we get together. Serious...I want you to have that reason to all get together & celebrate our lives together! This is where you can play all my favorite songs..and please don't forget my "Great 80's playlist!" :} It reminds me of when our friend, Lisa, died of cancer. It was such a sad time & very hard to watch her frail away; but, knowing her time was near, it gave us the chance to all get together & celebrate our friendships together. There was so many people there & we know how much she appreciated getting the chance to say good bye too. Unfortunately most don't get that opportunity to say good bye...all the more reason to take advantage of every moment!!

OK, so there you go....sorry to bring up the subject & no, again, nothing's wrong, I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. I'm just saying.....

3 comments:

heather said...

I didn't know Kelly Gunderson passed away! How long ago was that and what happened? I was friends with Kaylin in elementary school and remember Kelly from the old neighborhood.

Carla said...

You are so cute. Too bad more people don't think about death. It is not fun to think about but should be addressed. Does everyone have a will or trust to protect their kids, money, assets etc? Who would take your kids if something happened?

Jeff and I have already discussed our wishes and hope the other carries it out. Like you, Jeff wants a party with 70's dance! ha.

:)Carla

Colleen said...

I'm with you, something everybody should talk about, since it's inevitable that everyone who is born will also die. And any decisions that you know ahead of time that you would like to have happen, will only help out those that have to make those hard decisions on your behalf later. I love you Sis, and here's to many more years together!