Friday, October 3, 2008

Now let me introduce you to "The Other Mellisa"...

Mellisa (Larsen) Olsen & I...enjoying the love of The Utes together


I know, not fair that she has to be the "other" Mellisa; but, since I knew Melissa Workman first, that's just always how it always was. Love her just the same! :} Actually, they spell their names different, so that helped distinguish the two..though I can't recall when it changed from calling them Missy's to Melissa's (now "Mel" & "Mellis"). (BTW, what is it with "Melissa's" in my life....each one I know is a dear friend...something in the name I guess! :}). We first met in 7th grade Choir class. Since we were seated alphabetically, her being Larsen & me Leach..they put us next to each other & friends ever since! Which meant the poor thing had to always listen to my "singing" (if that's what you want to call it..never was very good, not that it ever stops me! :}). It's so funny thinking back at what mature kids we thought we were. Now that my son is that same age...I think, no way could we have been that young when we met! :} Mellis was one of the first to jump on the "Thriller" craze when that album came out..I still remember that Michael Jackson poster she had hanging on her wall :}. I realize I said the Workman's were my "other family", well so were "The Larsens"...I felt like I practically lived at their home. I slept over enough, I might as well have had my own drawer! One simple thing that always makes me think of her is Lipton Sour Cream & Chive noodles. Funny how those little things can bring back memories. It was our favorite snack & I think we made it a few times a week after school. If not that, it was mac n' cheese. Though Mellis would not let me get near the stove because I would manage to ruin it myself! (I have advanced now...apparently I had something to prove since it was a joke to never let me cook back then!).
Mellis & I took our Senior Trip together...my first visit to Orlando, FL. If you know Mellis, you know she has always been a Mickey Mouse Fanatic, she still is...goes every year! (another reason I loved her since that was my fav growing up..serious, sometimes I wouldn't eat unless I had the Mickey plate, fork & cup..spoiled brat! :}). So who better than to experience Disney World with? I remember first getting to the room & just jumping up & down on the bed in glee that we actually are away, without adults! It was certainly a trip to remember & glad I got to share that with her! :}
Another thing I will forever be greatful for is how they introduced me to Utes Football. They took me to my first game & I've been a fan ever since! (obviously! :}) So, it's fun that this is one place I know I can always see her each year!
Though life gets crazy & it's impossible to see each other as much as we'd like, it doesn't mean I won't always appreciate her friendship, and all her & her family have done for me through those tough teenage years. I'll always laugh that her mom always thought I was "the good one that could cause no trouble!" :} It was ok with Mellis to go out with me since she was safe with me (little did she know :}). Mary, her mom, is a hoot...love her too, glad she put up with us always taking over their home!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

How fun to stay friends for all those years. It is funny to think how 'mature' we thought we were at that age (7th grade), and now we understand why parents still want to be protective at those years. She's a cute girl, fun to have so many memories together!

Anonymous said...

So awesome to see you keeping in touch with the old gang. I have loved seeing the pics and reading your posts. Gotta love the interwebs for finding and keeping in touch.