Monday, October 27, 2008

We made it to The Big Apple!

As if what we've all ready experienced wouldn't have made it's own fabulous vacation in itself, we finally made it to our destination, New York City. We were anxious to meet up with the others & see what this city is all about! We came into Penn Station & got that NY feel right away. We stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn, just off Times Square. Despite having a subway underneath us, where you could hear/feel the subway cars going every 8 min. or so, it was a perfect location to be near to it all! As as hard as we tried to see it all, that just isn't possible to do in 4 days; but, we did our best & saw quite a bit! Yes, we did experience the "typical New Yorkers" that people joke about...some people were just a bit edgy & impatient; but, can understand being in a crazy busy city. But, we also met some wonderful people along the way too & know it also is a place that everyone must experience in their lifetime!! Daniella was excited to join us & get to show us her old home town (she has now moved from SLC to Jacksonville, FL). There was 14 of us total. Though we all had different schedules & agendas, we shared different moments & experiences together at different times.
Our one night all together was our night at the Broadway Show, Mamma Mia! Oh, what a FANTABULOUS night! (that's my new word for extra fabulous! :}).
That was just a fun show & perfect for all us girls! We took up most of the row, had great seats & just loved the experience of finally seeing a Broadway Show (my first at least). Though we were some of the few to actually get up & dance at the end, we didn't care...it was too good not too! And I must say, this Broadway Soundtrack I got there has to be one of my most favorite CD's now...I can't get enough of it this week!! Who doesn't like ABBA music, c'mon?! :} Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me, The Winner Takes It All, S.O.S., The Name Of The Game, Mamma Mia...you know you love it! :} I bet you're singing one of them in your head right now, aren't you?! :} So glad we made sure to do that...worth every penny! Now I still need to see the movie; but, plan on joining Maryanne and some others at the Mamma Mia! DVD release party that she will be having. Since that will involve a weekend in St. George, hopefully that will work out! :}
It was also great to get to see my cousin, Wendy, who has now lived there for over 20 years.Wendy and I are the same age, she was just the class ahead of me. We all did a lot together growing up, with all the family activities we'd have. She's done very well for herself & proud of her for getting out there & living life to the fullest. She has a gorgeous home just within blocks of Central Park. It's quite a different lifestyle than what we're used to in Salt Lake; but, perfect for her & she fits right in! She's very down to earth & doesn't take it for granted, I appreciate that about her. I again hope to take my family back there someday & spend more time with her & her family. For now, just getting to see her & what her life is about was awesome! Speaking of Central Park, what an amazing place! And in the midst of the crazy busy city, it creates a wonderful place to get away from the madness. I did walk through from end to end, though I know there's much more within the park that I didn't get to see. It really is huge...it's everything people chalk it up to be!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

How fun to meet up with Wendy. I'd love to see her house some day. It sounds like its in the perfect location. I loved the feeling of walking around Times Square, the hustle & bustle and excitment of it all. I can picture you have such a great time there. The Mama Mia Broadway Show sounds awesome. I'm sure the movie will pale in comparison the the broadway show, but the music is great just the same!

Jen said...

Dito Colleen. I imagine such a fun life living in the city, so close to so much adventure. That's so great you took the time to see her. Keith saw Mama Mia while in NYC. Said he thought it was more up my alley, than his. I still haven't seen the movie. Maybe I'll have to have a party when the DVD comes out too.