Thursday, May 15, 2008

Meet my mom....






In honor of Mother's Day this week, I thought it would be nice to put a little piece about my own mother...since it wasn't just about honoring ME that day after all! :} As much as we hate to admit it, we end up being much more like our parents than we think (which is a good thing really...you just swear "you'll never be like that!", right?). She is truly caring towards others, always willing to give everyone a chance & give them the benefit of the doubt. She's not shy..will meet anyone anywhere (how she has managed to get in a conversation on the bus or trax over the years, in that short time, and find how this person knows one of the family members somehow. Which this has happened a couple times, I'll never be able to explain!) She is THE Geneology Guru.....she will pretty much find out how we're related to about anyone, including Cary Grant! She's outgoing & fun...and always there for her kids & grandkids! She loves playing games...just don't ask to play pictionary with her because she can't not speak or use her hands! :} And especially if Aunt Toots is there...the two of them together breaks all Pictionary rules! :} She has continued to come to our softball games over the years...always the loudest fan in the crowd! Honestly, as a kid it was a bit embarrasing; but, when you grow up & learn not to care, you love it! :} She will be at every birthday party & event possible, always taking good care of my Grandma Tate & keeping her involved as well, and much more.
As I think about fun times, I can't forget the one year she came to Bradon's Birthday party, which involved sleigh riding down the mountain. Oh, she was not a spectator at all...she was sliding down on the tube with the rest of the kids (and yes, went flying off a big bump even). I just remember my friends in awe that my mom would do that! Or the time when we all went to the Circus & she got to go down to the floor with the clown...she loved that, as we did too! Kaley refers to her as "The Grandma who gives really tight hugs and likes Precious Moments too". We do like to tease her a bit for being "a little crazy" (and who's isn't); but, she had 8 kids...wouldn't you be a little nuts too? (you know I'm just kidding with you mom! :}). She has managed to survive ALL that we have put her through (and that's a lot!!...and I'm still really sorry about my part there too!), and still loves us unconditionally! Now, if only I wouldn't have picked up the trait of calling people right back after I hang up (actually remembering what I had to tell them while I was still on the phone with them), like she does too, I'd be ok with that!! :}


So Mom...Kudos to you, Love you lots!!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Great post! I don't think she has much fear when it comes to adventures, to also inlude wave runners and scooters. She's always game to participate in activities. I wish I would have inherited a little more of her outgoing personality!

Jen said...

I LOVE this post!! You brought back so many fond memories of mom. Playing pictionary, the excitement and enthusiasm for every event you may be in, and yes even the sledding. I remember that one well. I love her so much, and may have to dito this post on my own blog. I too wish, like Colleen, that I had inherited some of her outgoing personality, but I've got the "crazy from kids" thing down.

Lissa said...

Awesome post! Your Mom sounds amazing and you certainly had a great role model. A lot of the fun traits you talked about her having are certainly in you! Loved reading about your Mom!!! :)