Friday, September 19, 2008

Getting to spend time with "My Second Family"...



Speaking of friends, and seeing Melissa last night for Clayton's Birthday Party....I thought I'd take a moment to talk about what I consider to be "My Second Family", the Workmans. They lived just 2 houses down from us. Mel & I have been friends since we were 4 years old (yea, it's been a while!). She's still the same cute Mel (or Missy as we called her then :}) she's always been...has hardly changed a bit! I love it when I get the chance to see her! Of course we have many memories together....a few that stand out would have to be the many nights we slept out in their trailer (which made it easy to do our Toilet Papering runs-and oh, did we do a lot of that! :}-and walks to 7-11 late at night with our coins to buy the penny candy!); our adventures at Church Camps & activities; playing in the field by the school; playing Barbies & Fisher Price; our bike rides down to Skaggs for ice cream cones; our many nights outside with all the neighborhood kids playing Kick The Can or Steal The Flag (that was great-we had tons of kids in the neighborhood...it was awesome that we all often played together! I miss seeing that these days..just not the same anymore!); my visit with her in Boston...and sharing our pregnancies together during that time (Clayton & Kaley are only about 6 weeks apart); our trip to Lake Powell; and the bit of mischief we got into in our teenage years (who, us? I know...and sorry Mel, I was probably the bad influence there :}). I remember how heart broken we were when her mom passed away when we were only 9 years old, she was SUCH a sweet lady who always took care of all of us kids in the neighborhood! I'll also never forget the time her brother, Tom, fell out of the tree at Murray Park..some of my other siblings were there with him, it was a very scary time! He was very lucky to be alive...I believe he broke about every bone in his body! I am still reminded of that often every time we play softball there at the same spot it happened. Her dad would always make sure I had breakfast before we headed off to school (even if I all ready ate, he'd still insist I have whatever he made! Can I blame him for being an overeater?! j/k!). They always treated me like one of their own & I will always appreciate having the relationship I do with them!! Here's to many more years together my friend!!

Happy Birthday Clayton...who's now a big 6 year old, WOW!

Her sweet daughter, Lauren

Her sister, Karen, and Dad

Her niece, Anna, with her two boys...Micah & Isaah, and Kaley of course

Oh, look at that face! :}

And Micah insisted I take a picture of him too...even if he was shoving pizza in his face at the time!

Kaley, the fish she is, was very excited that it was a pool party!

THANKS AGAIN MEL & SHANE.....SO GREAT TO SEE YA'LL!!

6 comments:

Julz said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. And having life-long friends like that are so hard to come by! She was really lucky to have you, too- it sounds like!

Colleen said...

How fun to see pictures of their family. They look great! I haven't seen Karen in years. She's so pretty. Their family is so nice, I have some fun memories of them. I remember when Melissa cut off her long hair. She had long hair forever, so it was a shocker to not see her with it. You and Melissa were inseperable at times. Through good and mischief. It's great that you two have kept in touch over the years!

Jen said...

Like I always say, love the pictures!! I remember Missy very well. And I remember doing many of the same things you guys did when you were younger. Oh, the good old days. My kids don't have it like we did, I miss that for them. She looks great, and it's fun to relive those memories!

heather said...

I found your blog from facebook. I am Heidi Stewart's little sister, Heather. I just had to say Hi and let you know that the first thing I thought of when I saw your link on Heidi's facebook page was -- Girl's Camp! You made me laugh so hard! And I totally remember Missy too. Glad to see you're doing so well! And impressed that you still do so much with softball!

Carla said...

There are some families we are born into and others that we make. I am so glad that you were able to catch up and see eachother.

Looks like a fun time.
:)Carla

Anonymous said...

It is so fun to get an update on and see some pics of the Workmans, especially Missy. Always great when you can keep in touch over the years. :)