Friday, September 26, 2008

OUR KIDS...

Because we can't seem to take enough pictures or talk about the kids.....let's have some more! :} You have to capture their different ages & changes as they grow, since it absolutely just constantly changes before your eyes!! You look at them & think..."When exactly did you change, or grow 2 inches?....I saw you just yesterday!" Was it while they were asleep? It's always a mystery! Our kids, as I know all kids do, continuously keep us entertained! It's funny how different their personalities are right from the get-go. Literally from the beginning, because their pregnancies tend to reflect their personalities too. Bradon....pretty easy going for the most part, calm. Dylan, well let's be honest...I was sick EVERY day from conception, he constantly had his foot in my rib & was also pushing on my nerves causing back spasms & of course had to come real early to make it more of a challenge. Kaley...again easy going, hardly ever sick, felt great the whole pregnancy. Though they all came a bit early...so, learning to deal with challenges from the beginning was part of this whole new game of parenthood! And don't get me wrong, we totally love each one of our kids & couldn't imagine life without any of them! Even when they love to push the buttons! No one every said it was going to be easy!! I always say..."I've got to write that down before I forget". Then of course, you forget to write it down most of the time. I'm going to try & remember a few quotes or moments here with each of them. I know I have a few in my journal from years back; but, since I haven't managed to even open it since like 2 years ago (sad, I know...but, at least now I have this :})...I'll have to dig it out & see. I know there's some classics!


BRADON RILEY COLEMAN: AGE 12

Bradon, our "Little Man" who is not so little anymore! He is definitely changing fast, especially now that he's entered the scary world of Jr. High! As I know you can figure out by all the blogs, he is a football fanatic! See, look...he's even holding one in this picture. I don't know that he ever sets it down, but maybe to take a shower is all. You rarely catch him watching anything on TV other than the NFL network and the only PlayStation games he really plays are "2008 Madden" & "NCAA Football". He is very driven though & understands he has to work hard if he really wants to succeed (has all intent of playing for the Utes & then the NFL someday :})...I've even caught him running up & down the stairs a bunch of times to get "extra training". He is very good natured & kind. I am always impressed that he will give everyone a hug..all Aunts, Uncles, Friends, whoever, when we're leaving any kind of event. Sure, he's not perfect. Has some anger management issues, in particular with his brother...but, that's just being siblings, right? :} We're still trying to find a way to get him to enjoy reading....not his thing! (only football articles would be his choice....other than that, only what he absolutely has to!) He had that blond hair since he was born...it was cute, he looked like a little old man then with his newborn wrinkly skin & white hair. Here's two of my favorite stories about him...

  • I'll never forget when he was 4 & his brother was extra rambunctious one weekend (see below for details). He could tell it was stressing me out so he asked if I could take him back & trade him in for a sister (though I wouldn't trade Dylan in for the world...sounded like a great idea at the time! :}). Then, from that day on, once I told him it didn't quite work that way, he would ask for a sister EVERY DAY for a good year or more, then cut back & would ask at least every week for another year.
  • Which, this leads me to the next favorite story...that his intuition knew exactly what God had planned out & that he would in fact have a sister someday. In Nov, '01, in the middle of reading a story, he interrupts me to tell me "It's time for his baby sister to come". We were going to start trying again at the first of the year. Needless to say I was pregnant right away & he told me when I was (which I hadn't even known yet myself oddly enough)...he said "She's in your tummy now!" Remember he was only 6 at this time. We took the boys with us to the ultrasound & when the nurse says, "It's A Girl"...his response was "Well, duh, I know!" Which I truly believe he did know...kids are so insightful! So I then figured he had to know what her name was, he told me Kaley...and that was that.

We are proud of our "Brady Burger" (as Grandad likes to call him) and really only fear what the teenage years will be like with the amount of girls that call or like him all ready now! He's a ladies man (all ready has had a couple of girlfriends...oh those silly elementary flings :}) & is going to be a heart breaker I'm sure!


DYLAN JACOB COLEMAN: AGE 10

Oh, where do we start with our "Dyl Pickle"?....well if this picture alone doesn't explain his personality right here, I don't know what does! Dylan is obviously our "Character"..."Little Me" really, as my mom likes to remind me when I tell her Dylan stories (the theory of what goes around comes around is all too true here....our total payback! :}). He's a smart kid...maybe sometimes for his own good! His curiosity is what scares me most!! (see the blog last month on why he shaved his eyebrows, as one of many examples). We hope he'll use this inquisitiveness to good use as he gets older, it could be a big plus! (trying to stay positive here! :}) We have quite a few Dylan stories; but, here's a few that stand out.

  • The rambunctious weekend we spoke about happened at the ripe age of 2. First he managed to pull a chair over, climb up on the kitchen counter, to the window sill-with a couch pillow in hand, put it over the candle until it started on fire. Then climbed down & put this pillow in the middle of the living room.."OOHHH...FIRE...NEATO!" So, as I'm putting this flame out, he then grabs Doug's Oakley Sunglasses (not the cheap ones of course), looks at me with this glare like he knew exactly what he was doing...and busted them in half. The next morning, we woke up to a very colorful basement (that we had just barely finished at the time) with yellow highlighter & the sharpie pen...covered EVERY wall, door, floor tile..didn't miss a thing! So, not so funny then....yea, I guess it's funny now! :}
  • Then there was the time we poured our concrete patio & despite the life threats that occurred if they went anywhere near it (which obviously don't work because they're still here!)...him & the neighbor boy were caught walking through it, and oh...let's make decorations with the garden tools too! Isn't that pretty?
  • In just 1st Grade, we were approached with a handful of disciplinary notes that were supposed to come home for us to sign. All with Dylan's name....found deeply stashed in the farthest bush in the corner of the school grounds the following spring. Why didn't he bring them home you ask? "Well, if I did...than Santa Clause wouldn't have came!!" Guess he had a good point! When he finally discovered the "Truth of Santa"....he then immediately said "Oh, that's why I still keep getting gifts from him!" Again, little too smart for his own good!

There's certainly many more; but, you get the point. As I mentioned previously, he decided to come real early...that is a whole 'nother blog in itself we'll get to some day. But, as much of a stinker as he can be; he truly taught me the miracle of child birth & showed me what a fighter he really is. His sweet side is absolutely adorable too...just look as his cute lil' face! :} He's so good with other kids & just enjoys having fun. Apparently Dylan's new thing is that he's started "Dance Offs" at Recess (which has brought some funny memories back of the "recess days"). He's really enjoying his hip hop class and glad to see we've found a good way to channel some of that energy of his!

KALEY SARA COLEMAN: AGE 5 (well, almost 6..in about 6 weeks. Or she's 5 & 5/6th's from the her eyes! :} She's on the b-day countdown all ready!)

Now on to our baby, Lil' Miss Kaley. Well, you all ready know she was wanted & loved by her brothers (though picking on her is pretty fun too...but, she can certainly hold her own!) She was a very calm baby, slept well since the beginning. She is a major thumb sucker (help us now if you have any hints!). She was sucking her thumb in the ultrasound, and even when she was born (One hand on the umbilical cord, the other with the thumb in the mouth...like a little monkey, it was too precious!) It was strange not to hear the "initial newborn cry"; but, she was content & happy to be here...no tears needed. She LOVES to perform & has a list of recitals she plans to do someday, which I know I've mentioned before; but, this includes anything she can do (like the "cooking recital" where she will show us how to make PB & J sandwiches :}). At almost every family gathering, we have to sit & watch whatever dance she decides to make up at the moment, which usually involves some kind of dress up. She is now standing by me & wants to say her favorite dress up clothes are the ones she got from Monica's house (oh, sweet! :}). What she is wearing at this moment is something I know I put in the give away box; but, apparently is back out because "Oh mom, I JUST LOVE that skirt & shirt...see, it fits!" (no, not really) How did I end up with such a girly girl? Seriously! She loves looking through the AVON catalog & picking out the jewelry; makeup; or whatever Dora, HS Musical or Hannah Montana products, she MUST have (oh oh, I could be in trouble!) She is so lovable & will talk to anyone...absolutely adores her friends, it cracks me up watching them. She loves to give hugs & kisses...she's our little angel for sure! (now ask me if that's still the case when she's a teenager! :})

We're so grateful to be blessed with these 3 beautiful kids! At least we'll always know we did SOMETHING right in life! :} We know it will be a flash before we're looking back, they're off on their own & we're thinking where did the time go?!! Just hope we can treasure every moment & avoid ending up in the nut farm instead!! :}

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Great post. It's true, they each have their unique personalities and have had since the day they were born. I love each of them so much. I'm a proud aunt!

Anonymous said...

Your family is so adorable Shauna and obviously you and your hubs have done a great job! I admire your dedication to your website.. I wish I spent more time documenting stuff that goes on at my house, because just like you, I think "ooh, I gotta jot that down" and god knows it never happens. BUT, we do our best and that's what matters, right!!

Carla said...

I just learned more about your kids and I love it. You are such a cute mom and gave me some great ideas for upcoming blogs. Thanks for sharing your stories!

:)Carla

At Last said...

It was fun to read about each of your kids. They are so cute. Noah reminds me of Dylan, whenever I tell my parents storeis they laugh and say what goes around comes around, I guess I was the spitfire when I was little.

Jen said...

I LOVE this post. I love learning things about my adorable neice and nephews (yes, Dylan's adorable!)that I didn't know, or haven't thought about for awhile. So many things I didn't know about them. They are such great kids. You've got to be one proud mama to see that you're raising such happy, gifted, spirited children. Kudos to you! Love you and your beautiful family!!!!!!!!!

Kim said...

Your kids are so funny...you can see each of their fun personalities through the pics you post. Very cute!