Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Wake....and having a blast from the past!

So, we're at the Wake tonight for Mitch & all of a sudden, I see Jamie Larsen & some family. Jame was my little sister, Jenny's, best friend growing up. She also served at our wedding even. It's probably been about that long since I've seen her I think. Growing up, our family very much cared for the Larsen Family. Andrea, Jamie's mom, was SUCH an inspiration to me! You know when you meet those people in life who you felt just got you through it? She was one of them for sure...no judgements, nothing but just always being there for you. She was my mutual teacher in church, and managed to keep changing her position to always be our mutual teacher throughout our teenage years. Her & Ruby Roberds...two peas in a pod! She was our camp leader every year...and oh, how much fun we'd have I tell ya! Why I still love to camp I believe! So, apparently Andrea was there tonight & I unfortunately didn't see her (darn it!); but, seeing Jamie, and Mandy, brought back so many memories! I always thought it was interesting after becoming friends with Monica that their mom; brother, Mike; and Mitch all at different times lived in the trailer of the park that I practically grew up in (we were at that pool about every day in the summertime!) But, it never occured to me they were actually next door neighbors for so many years! Mandy was especially close to Mitch & it breaks my heart to know the pain they are suffering too. It's such a small world, it's just crazy! I remember Mitch talking about having such great neighbors...well of course he did! Funny how you run into people who've been a part of your life at different times like that! I'm sure Jenny will be excited to know I saw Jamie too!

As far as the Wake...I have to say, it was very nice & peaceful & I think Mitch would have really enjoyed it. It was held at the 'Stark Funeral Parlor'..this nice quaint place in the Holladay area. Very casual...they had pictures of him all around, set more as if it were his home. They did a wonderful job...it always takes special kind of people to take care of the families like that in such time of need! Still very sad about Mitch of course; but, hopefully it brought the family some comfort at this time!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, it really is a small world sometimes, isn't it! I've seen Jamie only a few times in the past few years, and have talked to her some on facebook. I would love to see her again. I love the Larsen family. I think Andrea was in mutual when I was in there too. She's one of a kind. Thanks for posting. Love ya, Jen.

At Last said...

What a great post. I told my Mom about all the great things you said. She wanted me to tell you that you were always one of her favorites! And is glad to hear your doing well. It was good to see you again. I just wish it could have been under better circumstances. I am so glad that you are there for Monica and the family. They are so special and Mitch will be so missed. Keep in touch. Jamie Larsen Kasteler

Colleen said...

It is a small world. I have some fun memories at that trailer park. I remember admiring the Larsen family and Andrea's sense of humor. I'm glad the wake went well, my heart goes out to Mitch's family.